SPECIALIST LEADERS IN EDUCATION
If you would like to apply to become a SLE please click the tab to the right where you will be able to find the application form and supporting documents.
Find out Who We Are by clicking on the tab to the right.
SLEs are experienced middle or senior leader who are experienced and interested in supporting middle and senior leaders in other schools.
Teaching Schools and SLEs support the Department for Education’s goal to provide educational excellence everywhere so that every child and young person can access high-quality provision, achieving to the best of their ability regardless of location, prior attainment and background.
- a successful track record of working effectively within their own school and/or across a group of schools, or working with a range of leaders within a single school
- evidence of successfully using coaching and/or facilitation skills to bring about sustainable improvements
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a good understanding of what constitutes ‘outstanding’ in their field of expertise and the ability and confidence to communicate this
- a good understanding of how their specialism and skills can contribute to wider school improvement goals
- an analytical approach in identifying and prioritising needs
- the ability to set and establish new and innovative working practices
- the ability to grow leadership capacity in others
Benefits for SLEs and their schools include:
- opportunities to work collaboratively, be creative and try out new ideas
- development of skills and knowledge that can benefit their own school
- experience of different school environments
- learn from approaches and ideas used in other schools
- development of coaching and facilitation skills
Examples of what SLEs do:
- give advice and suggestions to subject coordinators/teachers
- support colleagues with various aspects of planning and sharing of resources/documents
- supported new coordinators and offer 1:1 sessions and the opportunity to visit the SLE's school to look at work, portfolios, planning, observe teaching etc
- help to set up ways of providing evidence for their subject/role
- support with data